This position is responsible for securing increased visibility, prestige and support for the College of the Arts. Primary focus will be on developing and maximizing relationships with external media and public and private partners and maintaining comprehensive external and internal marketing programs that promote the College for the purpose of audience development and public awareness.
The Marketing and Communication Manager will grow the college brand and prepare and oversee the design and development of print materials, preparation of copy for electronic communications to students, alumni, advisory boards and other public presentations.
The position will support the dean’s outreach efforts through the development of targeted messaging for internal and external stakeholders designed to promote the arts, the faculty and students of the College, and the importance of supporting arts education.
This position requires a creative, enterprising professional, adept at traditional and social media and publicity who can undertake assigned projects from set-up to completion with minimal guidance. This position is a 1.0 FTE, twelve-month, fixed-term, Academic Professional appointment.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Communications, Marketing, or related field preferred.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in marketing and communication in an educational environment or withing the arts community.
- Demonstrated experience writing compelling copy for print and web and adept at using social media in strategic ways.
- Strong computer skills with experience in the use of networked personal computer (MAC) to produce, file, retrieve, and update documents, using Microsoft Office software, publishing software, various e-mail programs, databases, and web-based communication.
- History of successfully managing projects within budget with high-quality outcomes.
- Strict confidentiality required.
- Marketing or communications experience in education setting.
Flexibility, ability, and willingness to take on new responsibilities as needed.
- Openness to feedback and supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional demeanor, and ability to work with diverse groups.
- Collaborative style, basic common sense, and ability to work well as a team member, as well as ability to follow directions, work independently, take initiative and be self-directed.
- Excellent organizational and system skills, extremely efficient, with demonstrated ability for attention to detail, and excellent time management skills.
- Clear command of English and the ability to communicate effectively verbally and written with a broad variety of people, including staff, supervisors, and management.
- Ability to manage multiple projects on an ongoing basis. Ability to be creative and flexible and to see connections and initiative to transfer information from one task to another.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and as part of a small and highly motivated team.
Internal Number: 31402
About Portland State University
Located in Portland, Oregon, one of the nation's most livable cities, the University's innovative approach to education combines academic rigor in the classroom with field-based experiences through internships and classroom projects with community partners. The University's 49-acre downtown campus exhibits Portland State's commitment to sustainability with green buildings, while many of the 124 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees incorporate sustainability into the curriculum. PSU's motto, "Let Knowledge Serve the City," inspires the teaching and research of an accomplished faculty whose work and students span the globe. PSU seeks talented individuals who understand our values and strategic goals and enjoy sharing ideas and collaborating in an environment of mutual respect to achieve those values and goals. We are committed to leading through engagement and seek individuals who support this strategy. Engagement describes Portland State's collaborative approach to the exchange of knowledge and resources with local, regional, national, and global partners for mutual benefit of students, faculty, and the community. As a component of the Diversity Action Plan and the President's... Strategic Mission of achieving global excellence, Portland State University strives to become an institution that is recognized nationally and internationally for the accomplishments of its faculty, the reputation of its programs, and the preparation of it students as world citizens. For more information visit http://www.pdx.edu/about-portland-state