JOB SUMMARY: The Marketing Specialist is responsible for the development and tactical implementation of marketing plans for the SOA. He/she will develop and create high-quality and effective marketing communications and collateral to increase awareness and engagement of key target audiences critical to the success of numerous initiatives and programs. He/she will work in cross-functional teams and be very hands-on in executing projects and tactics on a wide variety of SOA programs, products and services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: • Manage a multi-faceted strategic marketing plan to promote assigned products and services, executing comprehensive campaigns to meet goals and objectives.
• Make sound recommendations in the formulation of effective program marketing plans and tactics to promote assigned professional development offering, to meet and exceed budgeted numbers.
• Liaise with internal stakeholders to understand program/event needs, create schedules and coordinate work flow to ensure the smooth and timely completion of projects.
• Provide content and design direction for the development of effective and attractive marketing collateral, including flyers, ads, brochures, posters, web graphics, banners and eblasts, and other items.
• Responsible for copy development and editing of various types of collateral pieces and ensuring that marketing materials stay on-message and are error- free.
• Manage email marketing campaigns, including defining and refining list pulls for both print and electronic mailing to maximize effectiveness of segmentation strategies.
• Provide strategic results reporting for each tactic, campaign and recommend improvements, enhancements and testing strategies for future campaigns.
• Conduct market research to gather key information and source for contacts to extend marketing reach in the relevant industries.
• Staff booth to promote member relations, and various products and services at SOA events.
• Other duties as required or requested.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered):
• Requires bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or a related field.
• Requires a minimum of five (5) years direct experience in program/product/event marketing or marketing communications, preferably in a professional association or non- profit organization.
• Experience in formulating and implementing product marketing plans, including launching new products and driving response. Background in education marketing preferred.
• Familiarity with different marketing tactics and tools, including direct marketing, social media and digital experience.
• Experience working with technical subject matter experts to develop communication materials, is preferred.
• Strong direct mail experience desired; understanding of market segmentation and achievements in building response rates and other desired measurements.
• Requires intermediate-to-expert level knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and intermediate-level knowledge of AP Style.
• Ability to travel a minimum of 5-10%.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES including competencies that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
• Sound analytical skills to track results of tactics and campaigns, provide analysis and make appropriate recommendations.
• Forward-thinking and innovative in recommending new marketing approaches and strategies.
• Requires excellent project management skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
• Excellent relationship skills to serve and function effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary and multi-talented team.
• Exhibit strong initiative and the ability and willingness to understand and support strategic and operational initiatives of the SOA.
• Organizational abilities and ability to pay attention to detail are critical traits.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job related instructions and to perform other job related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
It is the policy of the SOA to provide equal opportunity in employment to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, pregnancy status, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, order of protection status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Internal Number: 1148
About Society of Actuaries
Join our growing professional membership and credentialing association and put your talents to work. We have over 27,000 members in the actuarial profession throughout the world who work in the areas of consulting, insurance, finance, healthcare and business. Our staff of 150 strives to provide the highest level of service to our members in everything we do from education, to credentialing exams to research and communication. We are located in Schaumburg, across from The Streets of Woodfield, conveniently adjacent to I-90, 355 and 290. Our office is accessible on public transportation from Chicago, via the blue line and Pace Bus. Our benefits include BCBS Health Insurance, Dental, Vision, a generous retirement contribution, work-out facility in the building, health club reimbursement, opportunities for professional development including tuition reimbursement and internal and external training opportunities.