A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Associate Director of Marketing will be responsible for creating, implementing and overseeing external marketing relationships which appropriately and consistently promote University of Michigan Athletics. This position will also be responsible for the seamless collaboration with the Digital, Social, Ticketing and Event Presentation team to coordinate the aspects of marketing initiatives. The ongoing development of marketing partnerships across numerous marketing channels will be expected and this role will also incorporate the relevant sponsorships into marketing elements as appropriate. This role will also oversee staff, assisting in integrating the numerous corporate, university and community partners, and driving collaboration across all external operations departments to grow the Michigan fan-base. The Associate Director of Marketing will also be expected to build strong relationships with key coaches and to participate in all relevant projects and meetings, including periodic meetings with IMG, internal department partners, relevant University partners, teams and coaches, and other parties as needed.
This position prioritizes creativity, organization, collaboration and communication in order to achieve the highest levels of both efficiency and effectiveness.
80% External Marketing Management
- Manage the creation and ongoing development of comprehensive external marketing plans and initiatives, ensuring alignment with Michigan Athletics objectives.
- Develop relationships with local and regional media partners to broker cost-effective deals and barters, to appropriately promote the numerous sporting events across the academic year and seasons.
- Actively refines and evolves with emergent technologies, marketing and otherwise, to support the efficient and effective use of department marketing budgets.
- Work collaboratively with various internal departments to ensure alignment regarding ticket availability, access to event programming, parameters of pre-existing partner deals, and creative resources.
- Oversee the timely fulfillment of marketing agreements, ensuring clear timelines and objectives.
- Manage marketing vendor relationships through procurement and billing
- Evaluate and integrate community partners as appropriate to create mutually beneficial marketing platforms
- Supplement existing marketing efforts when needed, related to the hosting of championships on the University of Michigan athletic campuses.
- Identify and leverage existing partnerships to expand our marketing reach, creating authentic and effective storytelling opportunities.
- Approve all co-branded marketing partner creative or sponsor creative prior to production
- Create, manage and measure processes to optimize and create efficiencies in our external marketing, Kids Go Blue Club platform and merchandise marketing efforts.
- Review and approve all sponsorship integration elements into marketing materials and provide feedback regarding brand standards.
- Conduct thoughtful analysis, draw actionable conclusions and operational efficiencies, and make recommendations based on informed decision-making.
- Provide timely updates regarding marketing spend, effectiveness, ROI and other key metrics and benchmarks as needed.
- Ensure all marketing programs are NCAA compliant, while maintaining a clear understanding and familiarity with NCAA guidelines pertinent to marketing initiatives.
- Incorporate best practices related to tracking and measurement to optimize ROI, awareness and exposure for Michigan Athletics.
- Create, implement and manage merchandise marketing efforts to help build loyalty with active participants of the Michigan brand, while also increasing traffic to MDEN site and increasing sales of Michigan merchandise
- Marketing management for ad hoc special projects (Nike Launch, Trail to the Victors, etc.), overseeing marketing integration of all appropriate partners, ensure thorough marketing plan management, and ensure all external relations teams are appropriately represented
- Other marketing integration and outreach as required.
20% Team Management
- Direct and advise staff depending on office needs and structure. Creates, manages and measures processes for projects and initiatives in support of 31 teams, including: marketing, events, KGBC communications and sponsor integration.
- Evaluates staff performance and provides positive and proactive feedback.
- Champion department initiatives and drive enthusiasm and professionalism among staff with complementary skillsets and experiences.
- Manage budgets, billings, timesheets and approvals on behalf of marketing efforts team.
- Provide exemplary customer service to internal and external constituencies.
- Lead staff in mentoring of student assistants and interns, while promoting a culture of growth of learning.
- Represent the Marketing team and Michigan Athletics during key internal and external meetings when needed and serve as a decision-maker for the Strategic Partnerships team in the absence of the Director.
- Accept and carry out other duties as assigned.
- 6-10 years of relevant work experience in marketing, specifically related to event marketing, intercollegiate athletics, sponsorships or partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field
- Demonstrated experience with marketing plan development and execution
- Experience leading staff as a direct supervisor and ability to work as a member of a high performing team
- Ability to work independently and to exercise judgment and discretion
- Proven success in operating within large, complex organizations and to relate with and understand constituents outside the immediate department
- Outstanding organizational, communication, writing and interpersonal skills in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously along difficult timelines
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work efficiently in a fast paced environment
- History of building relationships with marketing partners and implementation of new and emerging technology to evolve and optimize marketing objectives
- High level of personal integrity and ethics
- Ability to work occasional extended hours, relevant to the environment of intercollegiate athletics
- Exceptional ability to work in a networked way, emphasizing collaboration in a complex environment
- Passion for intercollegiate athletics
- Intuitive sense of trends in marketplace
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a high level of energy, charisma, enthusiasm, and creativity
- Professional, yet able to have fun in the work place
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.