Founded in 1991, The Apollo Theater Foundation, Inc. is dedicated to the preservation and development of the legendary Apollo Theater through the Apollo Experience of world-class live performances and education programs that:
- Honor the influence and advance the contributions of African-American artists
- Advance emerging creative voices across cultural and artistic media
Our vision is to expand the reach of the Apollo Experience to a worldwide audience.
As the Marketing Director, you will be responsible for the development and execution of marketing campaigns to achieve attendance and revenue goals for the Apollo Presents season of cultural events including music, dance, comedy, Apollo Education and Community programs. Working in close collaboration with the Director of PR, Programming, Box Office, Social Media and Digital Systems leads, you will ensure an aligned strategy and brand positioning for all presentations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates written strategic marketing plans that drive awareness, engagement and attendance for Apollo events
- Presents marketing plans and shares point of view with Apollo Programming team while encouraging collaborative ideation
- Negotiates rates and secures advertising space and added value promotional agreements with media outlets (online, television, radio, print and out of home) optimally using budgeted funds
- Builds upon existing partner relationships and creates new partnerships that encourage amplification of the Apollo brand
- Monitors sales performance and drives promotional initiatives as needed to maximize campaign effectiveness
- Oversees the creation and production of all event marketing materials including event tickets, website listings, sales collateral, and the famed Apollo marquee
- Ensures adherence to event marketing budgets and provides reconciliation for expense tracking system
- Supervises and delegates the activities of the Apollo’s graphic designers, Marketing assistant, and group sales consultants
- Directs special marketing events including Apollo Walk of Fame presentations and group buyer presentations
- Embraces the history and legacy of the Apollo Theater and acts as a brand ambassador by attending a variety of events including: Harlem and NYC tourism meetings, teleconferences with visiting promoters, special events with Apollo supporters, and networking/hospitality functions to ensure strong relationships with media sales and promotional partners
- Directly supervises employees in the following positions and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Interviews, hires, and trains employees
- Plans, assigns, and directs work
- Appraises performance
- Rewards and disciplines employees
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems